Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday’s Culinary Adventure

 

 

Tonight on Thursday’s Culinary Adventure:

IMG_2307

(On top of scones from a mix)

It seems like everywhere I go on the internet, I have been finding articles on lemon curd

( And advertisements for breast-enlarging-pills, but THAT adventure wouldn’t be culinary.  More like Thursdays Necessary Adventure…)

So, I decided to take it as a sign from the blog-gods, and make some lemon curd of my own.

-

I originally had planned to make a lemon cake to top with the curd, but when I read the recipe, I started sweating uncontrollably.

Hard recipes = profuse sweating = an unhappy Caitlin.

So, I chose a scone mix from Krusteaz that only requires 2/3 cup of milk. 

Sweat-free!

-

I found this recipe for Lemon Curd here.

You will need:

  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into bits

Whisk together the zest, sugar, and eggs in a saucepan.

For those of us who do not have lemon zesters (who wants to buy me one??), you will have to make do with a cheese grater.

IMG_2103

Be sure to watch your knuckles!!

IMG_2101

Ouchie.         IMG_2108

Nothing hurts worse than an open wound covered in lemon juice.

(I must say that, despite the acute agony that I was in, I was grateful for the little touch of drama that this would add to the post…)

Anyway,

- Stir in the butter, and cook over low heat- whisking often- until everything gets all melty and smooth, and the curd is thick enough that you can see your whisk marks in it.

From this       IMG_2112

To this.        IMG_2113

The magic of the internet.

-Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Hopefully, at this point, some scones will magically appear on your table for you to spoon the curd onto.  IMG_2308

Otherwise, you will have to make do with crepes, waffles, pound cake, angel food cake, …

 

And that’s all there is to it folks!

Taste Testers Say:

Caitlin:  I like it!  But I can’t help feeling like I may have permanently injured my knuckle for something that I could have easily purchased at the store…

IMG_2315

(For the record, Mom, my bed isn’t made because the sheets are in the dryer.  Otherwise, it would be made.  For sure.  I promise.)

Brian:  It tastes like lemon yogurt.  I like it, but lemon yogurt is cheaper.

Note: His face doesn’t look like he said this at all.IMG_2323

(He’s digging post holes for our new awning we are putting up this weekend!)

Summary:

The lemon curd is really fresh and tangy- but it DOES taste a lot like lemon yogurt.  Did I do something wrong?  I was expecting more of a lemon-pie-filling taste.

Next time, I buy a can of lemon pie filling and open it.

And eat it.

All.

Grade:  B-

 

2 comments:

T Rex Mom said...

That does seem like a lot of effort but now you can move onto breast enlargement pills and putting up the awning!

Jenners said...

I did catch up on all your blog posts but I just love your cooking ones so that is the one I want to comment on. First, why you would want to eat something with "curds" in it is beyond me. It just sounds like such a gross word ... you know, because is kind of rhymes with another word that starts with t. I just love these cooking posts -- did I tell you that before? Well, I do.

And enjoy your unplugged Friday .... having in-laws come so you can nap and have them admire your son's on and off skills should be GREAT!

Enjoy.