Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday’s Culinary Adventure

 

Tonight, on our Culinary Adventure:

IMG_3044

Yummy!

I got this recipe from my dear cousin Julie, who raved about how delicious it was.  I couldn’t wait to try it!

Brian had to play Wallyball (hard to explain) with some of the bosses from work last night, and didn’t get home until 7:30.

-

Exactly the kind of night that needs a little Rhubarb Cake Comfort Food to get you to bedtime!

 

But, if there are two things that I have learned in life, they are that:

1) You never turn down the bosses when they want you to come play with them.  Even if the sport is a made-up one like Wallyball.

2) Now Brian owes me.  And that is a very good place to be.

-

So, Joseph was my helper again! 

IMG_2976 IMG_2977 IMG_2978

Here we go!

You will need:

2 c. chopped Rhubarb

1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream

1 c. sugar

1 Yellow Cake Mix (plus the eggs and oil that it calls for)

Mix up the cake mix as directed by the box.

Here is Joseph’s face when I turned on the mixer, and about one second afterwards:

IMG_2996

                                               IMG_2997

-

A note for all of the one year olds reading this Adventure tonight:

For future reference,

This is not exactly “helpful,”  IMG_3003

and neither is this  IMG_2995

nor this (yummy, but not helpfulIMG_3001

and ESPECIALLY NOT THIS!!:

IMG_3004

(Any advice on how to clean the mixer--it can’t get wet-- would be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, I am throwing it in the trashy-poo.)

-

Now, pour the cake into a 9x13 pan and sprinkle on the 2 c. of chopped rhubarb     IMG_3007

IMG_3010

-

After a particularly whiny, tedious day, this is me briefly contemplating giving Joseph the (poisonous) rhubarb greens:

IMG_2994        IMG_2991

But,  OF COURSE I didn’t because I still love him so much.

See?    IMG_3016

I’m a good mom!     IMG_3017

See?    IMG_3019

-

Sprinkle the 1 c. sugar on top of the rhubarb (I got grossed out and did a little less.  Like maybe 3/4c)

and then, close your eyes and pour that WHOLE PINT OF HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM OVER THE TOP.IMG_3012

I’m sorry that we will all die of heart-attacks immediately.  You win some, you lose some, remember?

Bake at 350 for a bout 40 minutes.

Halfway through, I peeked:    IMG_3024

And done:

IMG_3035

I was skeptical about how it looked. 

All of the rhubarb had disappeared, and some milky substance was bubbling up the sides.

I called Julie for some guidance and reassurance, but she didn’t answer.IMG_3038

Loser.

Being the Adventurer that I am, I dug in anyway…

-

Taste Testers Say:

Caitlin:  Oh. My. Gosh.

IMG_3082

Brian:  Wow!  That is Really good!

IMG_3071

Jospeph:  “YUMM!”

IMG_3067

-Summary: 

So good!  I can’t really describe what it tastes like. 

Goodness…it tastes like sweet goodness.

At times I would think, “Rhubarb cake?!  You are too sweet!” 

But then, I would get a bite of tart rhubarb, and the cake whispered back, “No, I ‘m not.”

I’m in love.

Come on, make it!  Let’s all be chubby together, shall we? 

Oh, but if you don’t like a super-moist, kind of soggy, runny cake, then this recipe isn’t for you.

Also, I am not for you.  I am firmly against you.

-

Grade: A+

PS:  I do think that I am going to add an extra cup of rhubarb next time I make this. (Tomorrow…)  Just for fun.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I love Rhubarb. So want to try this!

T Rex Mom said...

Sounds delicious! I'm still trying to walk off the root beer float! How could I refuse - it was so yummy!

Evil!!!

T Rex said...

Ms. Caitlin,

It seems to me Joseph is being very helpful! I help Mom like this all the time - she doesn't say much but I KNOW it must be helpful! It sure is fun, that's for sure!

Jenners said...

Is it wrong that I would not know what a rhubarb looks like?

This was so funny again. I just love these posts.

Rachel said...

It looks so yummy! I unfortunately gained 4 lbs, so I'm not going to try this until I loose 6 lbs(you know, for the weight I'm going to gain just by eating the whole thing by myself?)

By the way, I noticed Joseph was wearing his bong shirt. Nice.

Nina said...

I have not had a rhubarb cake since I was a kid. That sounds so yummy!!! I wish I had advice for the mixer. Call the mixer company maybe they have a suggestion.