Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thursday’s Culinary Adventure

 

Tonight’s Culinary Adventure is

IMG_2536

But, wait, this is not just any chocolate cake, this is:

IMG_2535

That’s right!  This cake is made, from start to finish, in your Crockpot!  What could be better?

I found the recipe for this here.

You will need:

1 package chocolate cake mix

1 container of sour cream (8 oz)

1 cup chocolate morsels

1 cup water

4 eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 package instant chocolate pudding mix

Please note that I cut this recipe in half because I have a ridiculously small Crockpot.

Here we go!

-Spray your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.

-Throw all of the ingredients into your Crockpot,IMG_2529 and mix like crazy, until it is all blended.                       IMG_2530  

-Put on the lid.

I swear- that’s it!

Now, the recipe says that you cook it for 6-8 hrs. on low or 3-4 hrs. on high.

Don’t open the Crockpot until you are relatively sure that the cake is done, or else you will mess up the cooking time..?  Okay, I’m not really sure WHY you aren’t supposed to open it- just don’t, okie- dokie?

Here is the problem.

After about 1.5-2 hrs. on high, my cake smelled done.

It smelled done, and it looked done.IMG_2532

What’s a girl to do?

I was torn.             IMG_2570

I opened the lid, and…….

It WAS done!

How did it get done so fast?  Hard to say.  Maybe a half-recipe takes HALF as long?

Taste Testers Say:

Caitlin:  DELICIOUS!  Warm, chocolatey, gooey… my culinary skills continue to astonish.IMG_2568

Brian:  Where’s all the chocolate chips?!

IMG_2563

It’s really good.  But it could use more chocolate chips.

Joseph:  Can’t talk now, frantically signing/whining for more cake!  Gimme, gimme, gimme!

IMG_2539       IMG_2542

Summary:

Quite a lovely little chocolate cake!  Now, it wasn’t the BEST chocolate cake I’ve ever had, but it was pretty darn good.  And it was definitely the best Crockpot cake I ever had.

Seems like a cool, novel little trick to show/serve company!

Grade: A-

PS The cooking spray was virtually pointless…

 

IMG_2543

5 comments:

Ter said...

i expect that my share is on it's way to me now?

T Rex Mom said...

Nice cake! Wish I had tried that last night. As always, I love reading about your culinary adventures. See you soon! By the way, I've started working on my surprise for Joseph. It won't be ready for a few more days, though.

Rachel said...

OH, does that look good! I can't wait to try it. Anything in the Crokpot is my friend, unless it contains liver or something weird like that.

Jen said...

Awesome! So going to try this!!!

Jenners said...

Never in a million years would it occur to me to cook a cake in a crock pot. I didn't know you could! And if you need an additional taste tester on this one, I am available!