Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday’s Culinary Adventure IV

 

 

It’s that time again!!!  Tonight, on Thursday’s Culinary Adventure

IMG_7636

Can you believe it??!!  So, so adorable.  How could I not make it?  Well, I’ll tell you:

I took the idea for this recipe from the Taste of Home’s Halloween Food and Fun.  The original recipe calls for a pork roast, however we don’t eat much pig in our house, so I switched it to turkey breasts instead.  Feel free to follow the same recipe with a pork loin if you’d prefer.IMG_7594

You will need, a package of phyllo dough, dijon mustard, heavy cream, butter, an apple, dried thyme, and turkey breasts. (Again, or pork.)

First, put the turkey breasts on a cookie sheet and broil them until they are starting to turn brownish white on top.

Mix 1/4 cup Dijon mustard with 3/4 cup heavy cream, and bring to a boil.  Turn down heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.  Stir in 1/4 tsp. Thyme.

IMG_7598

Spread mixture on top of chicken breasts, reserving a little for dipping.IMG_7599 IMG_7601

Melt 3 Tb. butter.

Get out a sheet of phyllo dough and (GENTLY!) unfold in onto the counter. IMG_7603 Brush it with the melted butter, IMG_7604 and put another sheet on top.

Continue this pattern until you have a stack of four sheets.IMG_7608

Time out for a quick letter to phyllo dough.

Dear Phyllo Dough,

I hate you.  Why do you have to be like that?  Come on now!  The Office is starting in an hour, and Joseph is hungry!  The rest of you is going IN THE TRASH!!!

Glares and feelings of hatred,

Caitlin 

Man!  This stuff is HARD to work with! (for me.)  It is very thin, delicate, flaky.  The instructions say to keep the unused phyllo dough covered with a damp towel and saran wrap while you are working with the other sheets.  What?!  STRESSFUL!  The longer I took, the more and more brittle the sheets were!  I may have even yelled at Brian to “Turn off that stupid music toy!!!  It’s stressing me out!”  Obviously, it was the phyllo dough, and not the toy that was my problem.  Sorry Brian.

Here is me stressed out at the phyllo dough.IMG_7607

Anywhoo, disregard that outburst as we continue on with our recipe.

Place the Turkey Breast at the end of the phyllo sheets, and wrap it on up, tucking the ends under. IMG_7610

Now, take a new phyllo sheet, brush it with butter, and put another one on top.  Using a pizza cutter, cut into thin strips.IMG_7611

Wrap the thin strips around the turkey breast, saving a few.IMG_7613

Cut a square chunk out of your apple.  Keep in mind that this will be the head, so it should be somewhat proportionate to the body.  Wrap the remaining strips around the apple chunk, and position it next to the body.IMG_7616

You will not actually be eating the apple portion.  I know, a bit disappointing.  But, it is all in the presentation, people!!

Okay, I have a confession to make.  I actually only made ONE of the turkey breasts into a mummy.  The other one I did this to:IMG_7617

It was taking WAAY too long and I was hungry!

Pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until you are tired of checking on it. 

The phyllo dough will brown up really fast, but don’t panic (I did!  That’s why I was so tired from checking on it every 30 seconds!).  The browning seems to happen fast at first and then slow down considerably.IMG_7623

Voila!  Your Yummy Mummy!  AWWW!! Isn’t it cute???!!

Taste Testers Say:

CaitlinIMG_7654

(note the blanket.  It’s COOOOOLD!!! tonight!)

BrianIMG_7661

(I know, hard to read.  Imagine being married to this hard-to-read face.  What is he thinking???  I always just assume that he is thinking how funny and adorable I am.  In this case though, I think he is thinking “so-so.”)

Summary:  Meh…not so much.  Just aright for me.  Pretty rich, and I am VERY picky about my meat, so very rarely do I cook a turkey/chicken breast whole, without dissecting it for veins and fat. (Anal, I know.)  I started imagining all of the things that were in it, and I was done.  Brian liked it at first, but then thought that it was too rich.  Maybe it would be better with pork?

SOOOO cute though!!!!!  Great for a party!  (Especially if you have lots of other food that they can eat.)

Grade: C+

but Presentation: A+

IMG_7662

(I ate cold cereal for dinner instead.)

   

IMG_7659

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I commend you for ALL that work Caitlin! It really was quite the presentation, but for all that effort I'm pretty sure I won't be trying that one :) LOVE YOU... and loved the comments about Brian and his "telling" expressions!