Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Problem With Robots

 

I needed to know what time the mail went out at the UPS store, because I had a package that needed to go out today.  I was feeding Joseph, and so I didn’t want to go look it up on the computer.  I decided to call instead.  I used Google’s free 411 phone number.

Stupid Robot Lady:  “What city and state, please?”

Me:  “Boise, Idaho.”

Stupid Robot Lady:  “Boise, Idaho.  What business name or category?”

Me: “The UPS Store.”

Joseph: “AAAAAAHHHHH!”

Stupid Robot Lady: “Beep, Beep.  I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.  What business name or category?”

(I look at Joseph, who is happily eating waffles.)

Me: “The UPS Store.”

Joseph (SIMULTANEOUSLY):  “AHHHHH!”

Stupid Robot Lady:  “Beep, Beep.  I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.  What business name or category?”

(Not a peep from Joseph, who is eating again.)

Me (Really loud and enunciated):  “The UPS Store.”

Joseph (much quieter):  “Oh!”

Stupid Robot Lady:  “Lowes.  Is that right?  Or say go back, or more options.”

Me:  “AHHHHH!”

Stupid Robot Lady:  “Beep, Beep.  I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that…”

…You get the idea.

2 comments:

T Rex Mom said...

Do you have a video of this too? Too funny!

Maureen said...

Those automated responses are frustrating enough as it is, but it had to be "almost" comical to have Josephs timing be so perfect. He's SO smart :)