We pretty much love it!
Love it, I tell you!
And trust me, no one is more surprised than I am!
Things we love:
- The weather: Now, granted we skipped the hot muggy, summer, so let’s revisit this in June… but for now we are loving the rain, sun, coolish temperatures, and general moisture in the air! (my lotion-usage has dropped dramatically since leaving Boise…)
- The people: Despite what you might have read/saw in movies, everyone here is REALLY nice! Well, okay, not EVERYONE, but in a city of 6 million people, you are bound to get some nice ones, eh? I have encountered so many friendly, welcoming, helpful people. I have only had to stand in a subway ONCE, every other time someone offers me a seat, and someone almost always asks to help me with my stroller getting down and up to the subway platform. (more on the subway in another post.)
- The energy: As soon as you walk out the door, you are swept up into this intense and amazing energy. Everyone is moving, talking ,doing…I feel immediately energized.
- The shopping: Enough said.
- The food: Yum. Everything and anything that you ever wanted to eat, and more. My motto is, if I see a restaurant with a long line, I should go in and get something.
- The things to do: Parks, museums, landmarks everywhere!
- The diversity: Today, when we were out running errands I encountered:
Caucasian people, asian people, hispanic people, african american people, and Arab people, in almost equal proportions of each.
Also a few 8 foot tall models with thighs the size of my wrists.
I heard- spanish, french, german, italian, some asian languages (sorry I can’t tell the difference) and several african dialects. I’m not joking! I kept track!
I saw-people in traditional/religious muslim dress, traditional african outfits, traditional/religious jewish clothing. Not to mention the range of clothing that most people wear- from sweatpants to high fashion- it is all walking the streets and no one cares what you are wearing! Be who you are!
So, although I am TIRED of having to keep an eye on Joseph every second of every day, and sometimes I have to hold my breath when I am walking by certain areas (bodily fluid alert!),we are really enjoying ourselves and soaking in this experience!