I Felt Like A New Yorker This Weekend When:
1) I was asked for directions three times- and I knew what to tell them! (Well, one time I kind of guessed. But I was pretty sure. Let’s hope.)
2) I was walking on the sidewalk and started fighting my way through a heavy crowd. I thought- “TOURISTS! What are they all doing here?” And then realized that I was standing next to the Empire State Building.
3) I was pushing my kids on swings at the playground in Brooklyn. (From Boise to Brooklyn…sounds like a good blog name…) We were the only Caucasian people in the park, but it didn’t seem strange anymore, and Joseph didn’t even notice.
4) I stepped over all of the mysterious puddle/streams along the sidewalks of Manhattan (urine?) without hardly even having to look down.
5) I didn’t even jump when a man next to me started yelling loudly at another man a few floors above us. In Italian.
6) I didn’t say “Bless you” every time someone around me sneezed. Actually, yes I did. But that’s just polite.