Wednesday, March 3, 2010

This is what 3 hours of (non-consecutive) sleep looks like.

 

IMG_1136

(you may notice that Isaac looks downright perky)

-

If you had told me, before I was a mom, that I could exist on basically no sleep, I would have had a hard time believing you.

I love sleep.  I mean, I looooooooooooooove my sleep. 

If given the choice between a huge hot fudge sundae with peanuts, m&ms, and sprinkles,  and a 30 minute nap I would…well…hmmm…hard to say, but you get the idea.

I was the kid who conked out at 10pm at sleepovers.  I used to beg my mom to forbid me from attending all-nighters at my church. 

To me sleep=life.

And yet, here I am.

After a horrendous night (at 3 hours, doesn’t it actually qualify as a really good nap?), I am still standing.

Sure, I may have cursed silently when Joseph woke up (“Dora? Dora?  Dora, Mommy?  Dora?  Watch a movie?”) at 5 freakin’ am.

Yes, I may have prayed without ceasing that Joseph would take a long nap (not so much.)

Isaac may have been called “Joseph” about 3 trillion times. (second child, and all that.)

And I may have looked up from where I was zoned out, nursing Isaac to find Joseph inexplicably running around naked.

But, I survived.

.

I played with sidewalk chalk.

I took the boys to the park.

I did stickers.

I received an adorable First Smile from Isaac. (survival mechanism, I’m sure.)

My laundry is done (not put away, but done).

I made banana bread.

And it only took 2 large cups of coffee (drink up, Isaac!) and a short nap for me to make it through.

.

I have found that motherhood gives you a strength that you don’t know you have.

When your body screams “Let them cry!  You need sleep!” your biological motherly-urges get you out of bed and over to that crying kid as fast as you can.  And smiling, no less!  (If baring your teeth can count as a smile…)

Motherhood can make you do what, just a few years ago, you may have deemed impossible, torturous, and insane. 

Those crazy hormones!

.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I am off to get ready for bed in the hopes that Isaac will cooperate.

Because I may be a mother, but I’m still only human.

And I am tired.

10 comments:

ter@waaoms said...

Oh shush you! if you look like that with a new baby and a toddler and hardly any sleep, I can only imagine what you look like fully rested!

In fact, you look like you could be Issac and Joseph's big sister, not their momma!

T Rex Mom said...

Oh Gosh - I am so sorry you had such a rough night. It is amazing how one can find the strength to over come once she is a mother. I totally hear you! And I, too, LOVE my sleep!

mommytomason said...

I felt your pain. Hang in there cause you know it will get better in time. You look great though.

suzy said...

hang in there friend!!!!!!!!

septembermom said...

You're human, and you're a great mother. You actually look great considering all that lack of sleep. I remember falling asleep in the oddest places when I was nursing my kids.

~~Mel~~ said...

You can do it girl! You are doing so well...I can't imagine life with a newborn and a toddler...hang in there!

Jenners said...

You look freaking awesome! You are a great mom .. and I know what you mean about the sleep thing. I'm still not sure how I survived those early days. I love how straight up Isaac is in that photo!

Rachel said...

You look like a teenager again in your photo! I wish I could say that ever!

And making banana bread? That's more than expected on the list of requirements. Today I was just amazed that we made it to preschool. I gloated over that!

Nina said...

Oh my 2 year old still gets up and cries for me almost every night. Dad will not do, it must always be mommy. Typically he will sleep all night when I have reached my breaking point and I think he just knows I really need some sleep.

Just remember this time is so short.... I always say I will rest when I am dead. LOL....

grandma said...

Even on your worst day, you still manage to be an outstanding mother!! That drive to be all that your children need you to be is amazing, isn't it?